Thursday, January 16, 2014

Mexican Chicken Soup is Good for…everything!

I'm a teacher which means that I will forever be sick…at least for the first few years.  Lucky for me…and my perpetually sore throat, I love soup.  I'm not talking about a normal kind of love…I'm talking about I could eat soup all day, every day, forever and always kind of love. It heals me when I'm sick.  It warms from my tummy to my toes when it's cold out and my heart when it hurts.  Soup is so versatile.  You can put just about anything in it and it will still be amazing.

So, I pooled everything I had to make a delicious chicken soup and made myself some.  And my, oh my…was it delicious.  I thought about freezing some of it for later, but I couldn't help myself…I ate it all. Every single bite (over several days, of course).  This is one of my favorite soups..though it is never quite the same!

One more thing:  this recipe is only a guideline.  If you wanna add corn, go for it. Beans? Yum! Zucchini? Even better.  Want it spicier? Add more spice!  This is YOUR soup..make it YOUR way!  Just go for it and enjoy :)


Here's the recipe:
Ingredients:
  • 2 chicken breasts, shredded
  • 1 can organic stewed tomatoes (I squish them), with the juice
  • 1 container low sodium organic chicken stock
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 C green beans
  • 1 1/2 C peas
  • 4 chopped carrots (~1/2" pieces)
  • 1 T cumin
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp garlic salt
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • Salt to taste (be careful here, I don't cook with much salt since it can be added easily to taste when ready to serve) 
Directions:
  1. Combine chicken stock, water, and chicken breasts in a dutch oven (or stock pot).  Heat on medium heat until chicken is cooked through.  Shred the chicken and return to the pot. 
  2. Add spices and stir. 
  3. Add carrots, green beans, and peas to the pot and cook on low. 
  4. Once carrots are fork tender, add tomatoes (with the juice).  Cook on low for 15 minutes more to let everything soak in. 
Serve topped with fresh avocado and a dollop of sour cream. Side with organic blue corn tortilla chips. 

Enjoy!

Of course, add whatever you want to the soup.  The beauty of soup, it that anything and everything can go in it and it will probably still be delicious.  Some additions I would add, if my body would let me are: sweet corn, peppers, black beans, lentils, and more.  Get creative people!

No comments:

Post a Comment