Tuesday, February 18, 2014

I'm MAD. Enough is ENOUGH!

As I was laying in bed this morning, scrolling through Facebook (let's be honest - we all do it), I came across an article that a friend posted about how Subway was pledging to take a chemical out of its bread called azodicarbonamide.  According to the article, this chemical is used in breads to make them more "elastic" (why would we want our bread more elastic...seriously people!?).  This same chemical is used in things like YOGA MATS.  This is downright crazy.  It really upsets me that corporations are putting such chemicals into their foods.  WHY oh WHY can we not have just normal bread?!  

One article I read has this to say about azodicarbonamide: The same WHO Study cites respiratory issues like asthma among some people who were exposed to azodicarbonamide. But those individuals were breathing in the compound, not ingesting it." In addition to that remark, I also found in the conclusion of the article that in the form of ingesting it, the suggestion is, "do no eat, drink, or smoke".  And also, that "The substance decomposes on heating or on burning producing toxic fumes (nitrogen oxides)." WHOA.  Wait, so the study says that the substance decomposes on heating (like cooking bread) and produces toxic fumes as a result?  

There was a blogger who called to arms about this and over 78,000 people signed a petition to get this substance out of Subway bread.  But that is not the only fast food joint that uses this substance.  According to reports, the following restaurants also put this substance in their foods:
  • McDonalds
  • Burger King
  • Chick-Fil-A
  • Dunkin Donuts
  • Wendy's
  • Arby's
  • Jack-In-The-Box
  • Hardee's
  • White Castle
  • And more


If you'd like to learn more I linked the original article I read and in the above paragraph, the study on the chemical. I know that some may disagree with me saying, "the FDA approves it and the food is quick and delicious." And even though its been a VERY long time since I have visited any of these places, I still crave a little fast food from time to time and even indulge every now and then, no longer.  This was the final straw for me and my cravings for fast food.  

Are you angry about it?  I sure am!

No comments:

Post a Comment