Sunday, February 9, 2014

Weekend Eats - Banana Oatmeal Pancakes, Butternut Squash Chili

Let's face it.  Eating healthy during the week is fairly easy.  I'm at work, in the classroom and my only choice of food is what I brought or school provided yucky student snacks (i.e. microwaved waffles or english muffins with soy butter).  So when I fix myself only delicious smoothies and sometimes veggie packs for school, it's pretty easy a little easier to stay healthy.  While I post some delicious (and sometimes complex)  recipes on here, I normally eat pretty simply during the week.  A quick 5-minute fried rice is my go-to for a weeknight dinner (especially with the hubs is out of town).







We like to get out of the house on the weekend a explore our new city of Richmond.  We tried this brewery for the first time, Strangeways Brewing Company and it was great!  I got a Pomegranate Saison - mm mm mm yum.









When the weekend hits I'm ready for a nice large glass of red and a hearty meal.  However, my tummy and my conscience will not allow me to go crazy.  I've recently been craving an amazing pancake breakfast, but the heaviness of pancakes on my tummy just makes me cringe.  I looked around on Pinterest and found this recipe for banana oatmeal pancakes.  Sunday morning is the perfect day to try a new pancake recipe.  Our church has an 11:00 service which makes Sunday mornings the best part of our week.  Think: sleep in, make coffee and a nice breakfast, go to church and praise the Lord!  How much better can it get?!?


Modifications for the pancakes: 

  • Doubled (for 2 people) but only used three eggs instead of 4
  • Make them sand-dollar sized for easier flipping
  • Use fresh blueberries - not frozen...there IS a difference!
  • We used real sugar (just a pinch) instead of fake sweetener - just keepin' it real y'all. 

And then, I've been craving chili.  My school had a chili cook-off on Friday night, but with my stupid food restrictions, I couldn't taste any of them!  So, per the usual, I jumped on Pinterest looking for an alternative.  And THIS my friends is what I found.  This has got to be one of the best meals to come out of my kitchen.  I wish I had the bragging rights to this meal, but I do not.  I made this one to the exact directions (what?! me?! follow a recipe to a t?!) and it was amazing.  That said, I think I may puree some spinach next time to boost this meal even more.  It took all day to cook (mainly in the oven, so not too involved) and it was so worth the wait. Not to mention my house smells divine. 


Serve on top of fresh basmati rice and enjoy! This chili is seriously delicious and guilt free.  It warms your tummy and satisfies all your comfort food cravings.  Make this.  I promise you'll love it. 

Now...let me go gobble that ooey-gooey cookie my hubs just got out of the oven. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment